Director, Pivotal Labs Sydney
Sponsored by Pivotal
Strangling the monolith – with Amjad Sidqi
This is a real-life story of how one team successfully rewrote a legacy health insurance system with thousands of unknown business rules so complex that no one could make heads or tails of them – and a tiny mistake could put millions of dollars at risk.
Through an analysis of the scenario, Amjad Sidqi and David Julia will share how you can:
- Build statistically significant confidence in your system with data-driven testing
- Take a Lean approach to legacy rewrites to strangle the monolith safely
- Validate your system’s accuracy when you don’t know the legacy business rules
- Get business and QA buy-in to leverage continuous delivery in a legacy environment
- Demonstrate progress on your legacy rewrite so that your project doesn’t get cancelled.
About David Julia
David Julia is a long-time Pivotal Labs consultant with a background as a software engineer and engineering manager. He has experience in writing, deploying, and supporting production systems in Ruby, Golang, Java, and Kotlin in XP teams for startups, Fortune 100 Companies and everything in between in both the US and Australia.
Over the last few years, David has focused on helping large enterprises transform their development teams to improve their software development and architecture practices, and instil a culture of continuous improvement into their organisation. His current focus area is leveraging Agile practices to modernise legacy systems. David currently leads the Pivotal Labs consulting team in Australia and is based in Sydney.
Stay in the loop
To receive updates about AgileAus and be subscribed to the mailing list, send us an email with your first name, last name and email address to email@example.com.
Follow us on social media and join the conversation using the hashtag #agileaus.